Brower Literary & Management welcomes queries from all types of authors, whether you are debut or a veteran author, we want to hear from you. Please read each individual agent’s profile AND the submission guidelines that follow. All queries should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kimberly Brower is interested in adult upmarket/commercial fiction, with an emphasis in general/book club fiction, women’s fiction and romance. However, she is always looking for books that she wants to stay up all night reading, unable to put them down, regardless of what genre an author classifies it as. She loves stories that bring her into a world she doesn’t want to leave and characters that have strong story arcs. She also can never say no to an epic love story.
After being closed to queries for most of 2021, Kimberly had to think about what type of queries she was looking for. It wasn’t easy, but she understands how useful this can be to querying authors. Here is Kimberly’s current #MSWL:
- Commercial speculative fiction that is grounded, but has elements of magical realism or near-futuristic;
- Family sagas about complex relationships between dysfunctional family members (can be historical as well), similar to the tv show SUCCESSION or SHAMELESS;
- Coming-of-age stories that deal with friendships, relationships, loss of innocence, dark academia (even better if they’re set in boarding schools), but no YA;
- A unique spin on contemporary romances written for an upmarket audience with high concept plot (a tall order, but there is a project out there that meets this!);
- Domestic suspense/thrillers that explore the problems that come with following societal norms;
- Unicorn Requests (she will be very picky about any queries that fit these, but she wants to put it out in the universe): a historical fiction set in Colonial America, a mystery a la CLUE or KNIVES OUT, a grounded fiction story that has fantasy/paranormal elements
- What She’s NOT Looking For: non-fiction, political/military/legal thrillers, children’s/YA, picture books/graphic novels, westerns, spiritual/religious, high fantasy.
Aimee Ashcraft is looking for upmarket and literary fiction, specifically historical fiction, women’s fiction, and YA (all genres). She loves books that pull her in, immersing her in a world she can’t escape until the final sentence. She is looking for original voices and compelling, complex female characters. [NOTE: Aimee is currently closed to queries.]
Jess Dallow is looking for contemporary thrillers and mysteries in YA. In Adult, she is looking for small town romance, rom-coms, domestic suspense, and book club fiction. She would love to see diverse characters and #ownvoices within these genres. [NOTE: Jess is currently closed to queries.]
- Send all queries to email@example.com with “QUERY: [Project Title/Agent Querying]” in the subject line.
- NOTE: if you do not have a specific agent you’d like to query, you can just send it without a name and we’ll distribute internally.
- Email should include a query letter, a full synopsis, and your first chapter, pasted into the email (NO attachments please).
- We only accept queries for finished projects. Please do not send queries for projects that have not yet been completed.
- We do not accept queries for projects that have been previously published. We do however accept queries from previously self-published authors on new projects.
- NOTE: We do have a division designated specifically to self-published authors, click HERE for more information.
- We only accept queries via e-mail as directed above. We do not accept or respond to queries made via social media, phone or mail.
- We will only reply to queries if we are interested in reading more/reading the full manuscript. We plan on responding to queries we’re interested in between 4-6 weeks of receipt of your query. You will receive an auto-response email when you first send your query. We will update the website here to let you know what month’s queries we’ve gone through.
- REASON FOR CHANGE: Due to the volume of queries, we found that we were unable to get through as many queries as we wanted to since we were constrained by responding to queries we’ve passed on. We hope that this new policy will allow us to respond to projects we’re interested in much quicker.
As of September 1, 2021:– Kimberly Brower has responded to all queries received through November 2020. She just needs to respond to December 2020 queries and she’ll be all caught up.– Aimee Ashcraft has responded to all queries received through January 2021.– Jess Dallow is all caught up and currently going through her July 2021 queries– Any queries sent to the Agency through February 28, 2021 have been sent a response
- If we request your full manuscript or proposal, please give us another 6-8 weeks to read. You will receive an answer, regardless of our interest.
- If you receive an offer of representation from another agency or editor, please let us know immediately and let us know your deadline for making the decision.